]]>

8.19.2005

marcia and ryan make san francisco so fun.



That's my friend Marcia there. She's probably...well, not probably, IS one of the most amazing people I've met here in San Francisco. She's sexy, she's sassy, and I need to start calling her more often, because whenever we hang out, I never know what's going to happen next, and I'm left shaking my head in disbelief because I've had so, so much fun.



Now that's my friend Ryan in that picture. You may remember his birthday. He threw an incredible party at VXN, North Beach's latest Beautiful People bar. Afterward, about a dozen or so people came back to my house for the afterparty, since I live a half-block away from the place. Fire in my fireplace, wine, booze, music, and hors d'oeuvres. It was a lot of fun.

Now, last year they threw a party called Rehab Sundays at the now-closed Julie's Supper Club here in San Francisco. It was probably the most fun I've ever had at any party here in the city. Basically, it was a Sunday morning brunch with a live DJ spinning fun, obscure stuff from the 70's and 80's, and you could get pitchers of margaritas, bloody marys, and mimosas. They also served shots in test tubes from a medical cart by Ana Conda. That's her below:



(yes, Mom...Ana Conda is actually a boy in a big obnoxious wig)

I had a lot of fun too...this is me at one of the parties. I have no idea who those glasses belonged to.



Here's Marcia and me at another one of the Rehabs:



I have no idea why my mouth is always gaping open when I'm taking pictures of myself.

Quiet in the peanut gallery! That means you too, Daigle!

Marcia really knows how to throw a party. I don't know who that guy is with her, but he's cute. I guess that's why I was following him around with my camera until he posed for me. Stalkerish? Perhaps. But I had been drinking my own half-pitcher of mimosas with an extra-long straw.

God.



The DJ kept the party going:



And everyone had an incredible time.



This is Camper English, posing for me at one of the Rehabs. Everyone should know Camper English.



He has a new book out, called Party Like a Rock Star, Even When You're Poor as Dirt. A few months ago, he wrote an article called Nightlife Takes Flight for San Francisco Magazine. I've kinda known him since, I dunno, 1997 or 1998 when he had his Cocktail Clique, a random group of people on an email list that met at random bars around the city. It was a lot of fun, and a productive way to spend the dot.com boom years of the late 1990's. He also makes the best calendars, with pictures of him coupled with his poetry. My favorite is one of the first ones he did, January 1999:

There once was camper the fluzy
who spent lots of time in the jacuzzi
but after he was done,
and had dirty fun,
the water seemed awfully oozy.


Highly, highly recommended. His "Fishing for Turds" photo was the wallpaper on my computer when I worked at Red Herring back in the day.

More on Camper English later...I'm doing something really fun with him on August 27th, with me photographing and Camper interviewing, so stay tuned.

So what's the whole point of this post? Rehab is over, so what do San Franciscans such as myself do with ourselves now? Fear not...Marcia and Ryan have a new gig...Feather Sundays at the Bambuddah Lounge in the beautiful Tenderloin.

"A summer series of poolside disco day parties. Sunglasses, glamour, and Malibu kisses. Where chic meets le freak."

Oh yes, I'm so there. I'm bringing my camera. And Camper English will be there selling his roach clips, a must-have for chic le freaks such as myself.

Now, I know a lot of you who read this blog live in San Francisco and the surrounding Bay Area. There is NO GOOD REASON for you NOT TO BE AT THIS PARTY. Same goes with people from Sacramento, Portland, Oregon, and Los Angeles. Southwest flies into Oakland, take the shuttle to the BART station, and then take BART to the Civic Center station. For those of you choosing to fly into SFO, guess what? BART goes there too. So when you get to the Civic Center station, go on up the stairs, smell the nice fresh peepee on the sidewalk, and face north until you see Larkin Street. Walk up Larkin Street from Market until you get to Eddy. You can't miss it, trust me.

Bambuddha Lounge is located inside the Phoenix Hotel at 601 Eddy Street in San Francisco, CA between Polk Street and Larkin Street.

Here's a map.

Tel: 415.885.5088.

Be there! No excuses!

|
© 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 by Chad Fox. All rights reserved.