]]>

2.22.2005

ohio bound


photo courtesy St. Vincent Charity Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio

I'm packing up my things,
I'll soon be leaving.
I'm going to Polka Town!
It was there I met a girl one evening.
Now, I'm Ohio-bound!
Our wedding bells will ring out...in Cleveland!
That's the place where I intend to settle down.
So listen to the rhythm of the polka,
In Cleveland, the polka town!

- Frankie Yankovic


I'm off to Cleveland, Ohio...the City of Several Tall Buildings. It's a bit cooler there than it is here, which is to be expected. However, I'm actually looking forward to it. Seeing my old friends. Seeing my family. Visiting my Old Country.



I just have to get through the funeral.

Sigh.

I've got on my favorite black Paul Frank Skurvy t-shirt with the skull and crossbones over a gray thermal, my favorite pair of jeans, my hiking boots, my black Dickies jacket, my black knit cap, and my new bag. The best traveling outfit ever, especially for travel between the 415 and the 216.

You have no idea how glad I am it's a direct flight from SFO to Hopkins.

So...I'm ready. I've loaded Van Halen, Frankie Yankovic, Heart, and Whitesnake on my iPod. I'm working on talking out of my nose again with that yammering Cleveland accent (trust me, it'll be back). I'm looking forward to the West Side Market (it's in my sidebar...check out my Cleveland and Cleveland Heights links...you can be sure those are the places I'll be going when I'm there). I'm looking forward to Cotton Club soda pop. I'm looking forward to pierogies, real bagels (not the west coast crap they sell here...they're basically dinner rolls with vaginas), Bertman's Ball Park Mustard, Don Hermann & Sons dill pickles, Mrs. Weiss Kluski noodle soup, shopping at Marc's at Cedar Center, Mr. Hero Romanburgers, Grum's on Coventry, Mama Santa's Pizza in Little Italy, and of course, D'Vine down on West 9th. All my old favorites, and I'll drive to them in my mom's 1992 Lincoln Continental Executive Series Pimpmobile.

Awww yeah.

And you'd better believe I'm going to be tearing it up at the Grid. Look out, guys.

I'll be back in a few days.


cleveland, 1999 -- courtesy citizensvision.org

|

13 Comments:

At 10:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we'll see you soon chad fox... we're stockpiling the liquor in anticipation. (MC)


i prefer this pic of cleveland...
http://www.comeo.de/files/181.jpg

 
At 15:33, Blogger Adrian said...

ALL my love & condolences to you. Have a safe journey.

 
At 19:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i've been to cleveland, but it might have been cincinnati. what's the one right next to kentucky?

in any event, i like the presidents song 'cleveland rocks'. you know, from the drew carey show.

have a good trip :)

 
At 19:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the itinerary, Chad! You've made my weekend stalking plans that much easier.

 
At 21:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll keep you in sight with my third eye. Safe travels. I wish it was under better circumstances, but it does sound like you'll be grounding yourself with loved ones.
Safe return,
k

 
At 23:05, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Condolences. I am so sorry for your loss.

 
At 23:14, Blogger Jon said...

I'm sorry for the circumstances surrounding your trip, but hope you get to have some fun while you're there.

 
At 00:31, Blogger Jo said...

Hey Chad, have a:
smooth flight,
sound sleep,
safe trip.

My deepest sympathies. Take care and say hi to sweet home Cleveland.

 
At 06:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the blog. Enjoy Ohio. By the way, thanks for visiting my site. I can't wait to read more of yourstuff after the funny, GLBT Sandwich order. :)

 
At 18:06, Blogger XO said...

Have a safe trip. My thoughts are with you. :)

 
At 07:25, Blogger Jase said...

Hope you have a good trip.

 
At 15:04, Blogger dantallion said...

Sending you and your family good energy. Be waiting when you get back.

 
At 20:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you believe that your blog post here is the #4 entry on google for "Don Herman & Sons Pickles"? Would you believe, further, that there are exactly zero vendors on the web offering to sell the damn things, for any price, at all?

I miss very little about Ohio, but damn those were fine pickles. I found a couple of brands in NYC that came close, but none that were as good. In California? Forget it.

This has been you moderately dada pickle-related drive-by blog comment of the day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 by Chad Fox. All rights reserved.